The World's Largest U.S. Retail Chains in 2017
Walmart, Costco, Kroger, Home Depot - Top Retail Revenue Rankings
The U.S. maintains its dominance in global retailing on the 2017 list of the world's largest U.S. retail chains with nine American retail chains making it into the coveted top 20 listing of the largest retailers worldwide, according to the 2017 Global Powers of Retailing report, which is published each year by Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu and STORES Magazine. Not only is the retail industry the largest industry in the U.S., retail chains founded in the States are aggressively expanding their retail operations overseas and are becoming more visible, more prevalent, and more dominant on the global retail stage.
Power Rankings by Number
The U.S. companies ranked on the 2017 Global Powers of Retailing list vary somewhat from the annual Fortune 500 list, which is generally focused on publicly traded U.S. retail companies. Included in the 2017 Global Powers of Retailing list are privately-held companies, as well as government retail operations. Also, the 2017 Global Powers of Retailing report is based on 2014 revenue figures, so it lags behind the latest Retail Fortune 500 rankings. What the annual Global Powers report does provide, however, is a global ranking by the number which provides a comparative perspective on retailing trends worldwide.
While the global ranking of the largest U.S. retail chains usually remains relatively unchanged from year to year, there were big shifts in the rankings of the 2017 World's Largest Retailers on this year's list. Some of those big shifts moved the largest U.S. retail chains higher up in ranking, while others moved down in ranking, and others, like F.A.O Schwartz, moved off the list completely.
None of the most dramatic year-over-year changes for U.S. retailers on the 2017 Global Powers list will be surprising to anyone who closely follows the U.S. retail industry. But, the value of the Global Powers list each year is in having an easy reference which reveals how changes in the U.S. retail industry compare to changes in the retail industry in countries around the world.
The 4 Most Significant Changes Among Retailers Between the 2014 and 2017 List Include:
- Costco maintained its position as a member of the Top Five Retail Chains in the World club, ahead of Kroger and moved into the #2 position. Kroger moved up from its #5 ranking from last year's world's largest list to hold the #3 spot.
- Amazon maintained it's position in the top twenty of all retailers in the world in terms of revenue and now holds the #12 spot as opposed to its last ranking in the #16 spot. Rival Best Buy's revenue continued to fall keeping it out of the exclusive top 20 largest retail chains in the world rankings and it's now in the #25 spot.
- Seven U.S. retail chains have been included on the 2017 Largest U.S. Retail Chains list, including Michaels, Nike, Demoulas Super Markets, Susser Holdings, Belk, Alberson's and Stater Holdings.
- Behemoth Target slipped one spot and fell from the #10 spot to the #11 spot.
3 Most Significant Changes in Consumer Preferences
Less is more in 2017 with customers defining themselves less by how many things they own and more by how curated their lives are in terms of possessions and experiences. Today, consumption of "experiences" has outpaced the consumption of "goods" by a factor of three over the last two years.
The following economy has taken hold in the retail world with customers seeking experiences and products that reflect the personal brands they promote and see promoted, on social media.
The retailization of the world is a by-product of the sharing economy, the maker movement, and other factors that make it increasingly difficult to define what a retailer is and does. As disruptive and alternative business models persist, retailers will need to reinvent themselves. One retailer that has accomplished that quite successfully is the Home Shopping Network, a newcomer to this year's list.
How to Read The List
What follows is a complete list of the U.S. retail chains that were ranked on the 2017 Global Powers of Retailing list. The number in the left column is the global ranking number assigned to the company, based on its FY2015 sales figures, compared to other top retail organizations worldwide.
Use the links to find out more about the news, jobs, and retailing information for each of these Top 100 U.S. based retail companies. More rankings of the largest U.S. retail chains are included on the next page.
2017 top 100 Largest U.S. Based Retail Companies on World’s Largest Retailers List:
- Complete Wal-Mart Research Index
- Investors Information for Wal-Mart (WMT)
- Wal-Mart Jobs and Careers
- Wal-Mart Stores Retail Website
- Complete Research Index for Costco
- Investors Information for Costco (COST)
- Costco Jobs and Careers
- Costco Retail Website
3 The Kroger Company
9 Home Depot
- Complete Research Index for Home Depot
- Investors Information for Home Depot (HD)
- Home Depot Jobs and Careers
- Home Depot Retail Website
- Complete Research Index for Target
- Investors Information for Target (TGT)
- Target Jobs and Careers
- Target Retail Website
- Complete Research Index for Walgreens
- Investors Information for Walgreens (WAG)
- Walgreens Jobs and Careers
- Walgreens Retail Website
14 CVS Caremark
- Investors Information for CVS Caremark (CVS)
- CVS/Caremark Jobs and Careers
- CVS Pharmacy Retail Website
- Complete Amazon.com Research Index
- Investors Information for Amazon.com (AMZN)
- Amazon Jobs and Careers
- Amazon.com Retail Website
25 Best Buy
- Complete Best Buy Research Index
- Investors Information for Best Buy (BBY)
- Best Buy Jobs and Careers
- Best Buy Stores Retail Website
31 Sears Holdings
- Complete Sears Research Index
- Investors Information for Sears Holdings (SHLD)
- Sears Jobs and Careers
- Sears Stores Retail Shopping Website
- Investors Information for Publix
- Publix Jobs and Careers
- Publix Stores Retail Website
- Complete Macy's Research Index
- Investors Information for Macy's (M)
- Macy's Jobs and Careers
- Macy's Stores Retail Website
- Complete TJX Research Index
- Investors Information for TJX (TJX)
- TJX Jobs and Careers
- T.J. Maxx Stores Retail Website
38 Rite Aid
46 H.E. Butt Grocery Company
- Complete Kohl's Research Index
- Investors Information for Kohl's (KSS)
- Kohl's Jobs and Careers
- Kohl's Stores Retail Website
48 Apple Retail
- Complete Apple Research Index
- Investors Information for Apple (AAPL)
- Apple Jobs and Careers
- Apple Retail Website
54 Dollar General
- Complete Dollar General Research Index
- Investors Information for Dollar General (DG)
- Dollar General Jobs and Careers
- Dollar General Stores Retail Website
62 The Gap
78 Toys 'R Us
- Complete JCPenney Research Index
- Investors Information for JCPenney (JCP)
- JCPenney Jobs and Careers
- JCPenney Stores Retail Website
- Complete Staples Research Index
- Investors Information for Staples (SPLS)
- Staples Jobs and Careers
- Staples Stores Retail Website
70 Whole Foods Market
- Investors Information for Whole Foods Market (WFM)
- Whole Foods Jobs and Careers
- Whole Foods Retail Website
80 BJ's Wholesale Club
- Complete BJ's Wholesale Club Research Index
- Investors Information for BJ's Wholesale Club
- BJ's Wholesale Jobs and Careers
- BJ's Wholesale Club Retail Website
81 Bed Bath and Beyond
- Investors Information for Bed Bath and Beyond (BBBY)
- Bed Bath and Beyond Jobs and Careers
- Bed Bath and Beyond Stores Retail Website
95 L Brands (Limited Brands)
- Investors Information for Limited Brands (LTD)
- The Limited Jobs and Careers
- The Limited Stores Retail Website
89 Liberty Interactive Corporation (QVC)
When comparing the retail sales revenues of the largest retail chains in the world, it's no surprise that a significant number of the world's largest retail chains are based in the U.S. Ross, Family Dollar, GameStop, and PetSmart are just some of the largest U.S. retail chains that American consumers frequent, not only for brick-and-mortar and website shopping but also for retail jobs and retail investments. While the Top 200 biggest American retail chains might not be as familiar as the Top 100 retail chains around the world, they are still well-known national and regional chains.
What follows is a list of the biggest American retail chains ranked as being some of the largest in the world in terms of annual retail sales revenue. Use the links to find out more about retail jobs, investments, and website shopping for each of these Top 200 retailers. This list is arranged according to the ranking each retail chain received when compared to all of the largest retail chains in the world on the 2017 Global Powers report. The number in the left column is the revenue ranking number, relative to a total of 250 of the world's largest retailers.
2017 Biggest American Retail Sales Revenues - Top 200 on the 2017 Global Powers of Retailing Report:
110 Giant Eagle
89 Bi-Lo Holdings
91 Ross Stores
- Complete Ross Stores Research Index
- Investors Information for Ross Stores (ROST)
- Ross Stores Jobs and Careers
- Ross Dress for Less Stores Retail Website
98 Family Dollar
- Investors Information for Family Dollar (FDO)
- Family Dollar Jobs and Careers
- Family Dollar Stores Retail Website
106 Menard, Inc.
130 Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES)
- Hy-Vee Jobs and Careers
- Hy-Vee Consumer Website
147 Dick's Sporting Goods
- Investors Information for Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS)
- Dick's Sporting Goods Jobs and Careers
- Dick's Sporting Goods Stores Retail Website
- Investors Information for Sherwin-Williams (SHW)
- Sherwin-Williams Jobs and Careers
- Sherwin-Williams Retail Website
215 Barnes & Noble
- Complete Barnes & Noble Research Index
- Investors Information for Barnes & Noble (BKS)
- Barnes & Noble Jobs and Careers
- Barnes & Noble Retail Website
248 Abercrombie & Fitch
- Complete Abercrombie & Fitch Research Index
- Investors Information for Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF)
- Abercrombie & Fitch Jobs and Careers
- Abercrombie & Fitch Retail Website
Sixty-four of the largest U.S. retail chains are among the top 250 global retail chains in the annual rankings published by Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu and STORES Magazine. Dell, Nike, Belk, and Neiman Marcus are just some of the U.S. retail chains with high enough annual retail sales to be included on the 2017 World's Largest Retail Chains list. And even though the U.S. retailers listed on this page are in the bottom 25 percent of the 250 largest retail companies in the world, it doesn't diminish the significance of being included on the list.
The list below is arranged according to the ranking number that was assigned to each U.S. retail chain, after comparing each retail chain's revenue to the retail sales revenue of the 250 largest global retail chains. The number in the left column is the retail ranking out of a total of 250. Click the links to be taken directly to each company's retail website for shopping, jobs, or current investment news and information.
Largest U.S. Retail Chains on the Top 250 Global Retail Chain Rankings - 2017 Global Retailing Comparison List (continued):
204 Save Mart Supermarkets
206 Michaels Stores, Inc.
- Complete Dell Research Index
- Investors Information for Dell (DELL)
- Dell Jobs and Careers
- Dell Retail Website
208 Neiman Marcus
- Neiman Marcus Company Research Index
- Investors Information for Neiman Marcus (NMGA)
- Neiman Marcus Jobs and Careers
- Neiman Marcus Retail Website
210 Nike Inc.
221 RaceTrac Petroleum
222 Burlington Coat Factory
- Investors Information for Burlington Coat Factory (BCF)
- Burlington Coat Factory Jobs and Careers
- Burlington Coat Factory Retail Website
- Investors Information for Williams-Sonoma (WSM)
- Williams-Sonoma Jobs and Careers
- Williams-Sonoma Retail Website
231 Demoulas Super Markets
232 Susser Holdings (Susser Convenience Stores)
242 Roundy's Supermarkets
- Investors Information for Roundy’s Supermarkets (RNDY)
- Roundy’s Supermarkets Jobs and Careers
- Roundy’s Supermarkets Retail Website
245 Stater Brothers
250 Golub Corporation / Price Chopper Supermarkets
More About the World's Largest Retailers in North America:
More World's Largest Retailers:
- World's Largest Supermarket Chains
- Largest U.S. Grocery Store Retailers
- The Largest Retailer of Fashions in the World
World's Largest Retail Stores:
- What is the Largest Retail Store in the World?
- The World's Largest Shoe Store
- Where is the World's Largest Convenience Store?
- What is the World's Largest Bookstore?