PowToon is a free online presentation maker that offers tons of images and templates to help make a great presentation in a short time.
PowToon is severely limited in some ways but very helpful and unique in others, so it's still a great choice for a presentation maker.
- Lots of features
- Tons of ready-made templates
- Not hard to use
- Allows presentations to be shared with the public
- Supports rich text editing
- Presentations have a small watermark
- Several options and features are only available if you upgrade to a paid subscription
- Presentations aren't saved automatically
- Unable to save an offline version of the presentation
- Interface can seem cluttered
- Viewing someone else's presentation takes a while to load
- PowToon presentations can be built in a slideshow form or a movie form
- Text effects, image holders, characters, animations, props, markers, shapes, transitions, backgrounds, and many other styles are available to make slides really unique
- A dedicated styles menu is available for making greeting cards for Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Halloween, the winter season in general, and Valentine's Day
- There's a huge selection of pre-made templates at PowToon that you can choose from in categories such as stats, events, about us, explainer video, special offers, tutorials, school/education, and animated greeting card. You can also start a presentation with a blank template
- Can share a presentation with anyone via a public link
- Supports sending presentations directly to YouTube, though a watermark is on the bottom of the video and the quality is rather low
- A timeline bar is present at the bottom of the screen that lists every object on the slide. This makes it easy to make specific changes to what time objects appear and take on animation effects
- Regular text editing is allowed, such as changing the font type and size
- You can import an MP3 into a PowToon or choose from several free ones available on the website
- Images can be added directly from a search on Flickr or from your computer
- Very intuitive so you can drag and drop objects from the side panel directly onto a slide, use the right-click context menu for extra options, and group and move multiple objects at once
My Thoughts on PowToon
Aside from the negatives listed above, PowToon still seems to be a very popular way to make free presentations, and I can't disagree that it's fun and easy to use.
If you're looking for a quick way to find some nice presentation templates and a whole gallery of images that are instantly accessible for use on slides, PowToon is a really nice choice - probably better than any other online presentation maker.
However, compared to Google Slides, PowToon lacks significantly. Google Slides saves your presentations automatically, lets you download them in popular file formats, doesn't stick a watermark on your slides, supports live collaboration and chat, and can open existing files made with other presentation programs.
Overall, I think PowToon is a nice choice for creating presentations for school or a similar event, whereas Google Slides is fit not only for that but also for professional things that require a more clean look.